Monday, March 5, 2012

March 2012

This are the deets for March. Get the gist at Yelp.

March 20: No, come on in!

So my son and I stepped out on 3/11 (about an our or so after calling 911, which I documented below); and when we came back, my son noticed that his bedroom window was cracked. I emailed the on-site property management office about it, and a bathroom issue (my toilet had stopped flushing). I gave my availablity for the week (since I no longer give permission to have staff in here when I'm not home), and requested not to send "Pappy" (the Aspen staffer I reported to Fair Housing for referring to a painter from Mexico as a "taco" in front of me and my son (My son is of Mexican descent) while standing in my apartment (Yes, I have the documentation; and yes, I will be uploading it.).

Darla Warnock, Property Manager, replied to my email on the morning of 3/12, stating that she'd put work orders in for both issues to be schedule on the same day. She also met my other, personnel request by sending someone other than "Pappy" to take care of things.

(But that didn't stop me from calling the police. The window had been cracked from the inside, so I was concerned. I spoke with Officer Snow of the Sandy Springs Police by phone, explaining my suspicions...more on that at a later time...to which he responded that the police couldn't come out on a suspicion. This wasn't surprising since they do very little even when they have more than a suspicion to go on...and more on that later too, but feel free to scroll down to Jan 18 to get a little taste of what I'm talking about.)

Anyway...

Although Tommy, a maintenance staffer, arrived within the three-hour time slot during which I was available on 3/12, "the glass man" arrived almost an hour late. Considering my history with this property management company, I have to question why arrived after I made it clear I wouldn't be available. Tommy mentioned something about "Pappy" saying that someone would come about the cracked window later that day. So, was "the glass man" late out of an act of passive-aggressiveness on "Pappy's" part? Was it because of a miscommunication between the office and maintenance? Or was this just a case of indifference regardless of the fact that I made the effort to be as flexible as possible by giving them a week's worth of availability?

So, "the glass man" arrived, took measurments, and told me that someone else would be by on 3/13 or 3/14 to install a new pane. He also put his two cents in about the cause of the crack, stating that the building was probably settling from "all of the rehab" going on. Well, okay.

So it's about a week since 3/12, and the pane was installed today....unannounced. Why is this an issue? Because, once again, someone dropped the ball of professional communication; and whether that ball was dropped unintentionally or deliberately, it was an inconsiderate and lame move. There could've been the chance of us not being here, possibly causing drama since I've requested not to have anyone in my unit when I'm not here and these were off-site vendors.

Sorry, but if nationwide take-out chains can deliver - early or late - with a professional attitude, then why can't these guys do it?


March 11: Yep, More Construction Noises

Just finished speaking with Officer Muehlenbrock, who responded to my 911 call after having to deal with hammering and the sounds of some sort of machinery (like a power saw) above me. Yes, on a Sunday.

So on January 29, I’m told by an officer that the noises above me were because of new neighbors. On March 5, when I had workers on my patio using my electricity without my permission (i.e., stealing), Officer Ellis said that construction was being done above me (directly above me or in the apartment above that, I don’t know).

And, of course, the property management office is closed today, there’s no one to speak to – even if I wanted to deal with hit-or-miss customer service.


March 5: What's Mine is Mine (so to speak)

I just caught someone using the outlet (i.e., my electricity) on my porch....Just before my water pressure decreased. Not cool.

Officer Ellis from the Sandy Springs police just spoke with me. He told me that a construction worker (for Aspen Square Management?), that construction work has been going on upstairs (SO DO I OR DON'T I HAVE NEW NEIGHBORS? ), and that - even though these workers were using an outlet from my unit (i.e., my electricity), that it's not a criminal act. Officer Ellis said he could not take a report, but would speak to the front office for me.